A HUGELY talented Scottish artist and illustrator spent part of World War One living in Helensburgh and serving as an Admiralty Assistant Overseer Airships at the Inchinnan airfield.

Works by William Russell Flint (later Sir William) became more and more in demand over the years, despite what some critics considered to be crassness in his treatment of the female figure.

THE MYSTERY of two Gareloch steam yachts has been solved by a local expert in the field.

It all began in August when Mary-Jane Selwood of the Anderson Trust Local Collection, which is housed in Helensburgh Library, researched the work of watercolourist Tom Campbell (1865-1943) because one of his works is in the collection.

A HELENSBURGH traditional musician was in huge demand this summer and autumn, with gigs throughout the country.

Eilidh Steel, on fiddle, and her partner in a musical duo, Mark Neal, on vocals and guitar, are leading lights in the Scottish traditional music scene.

WHEN Helensburgh Dorian Choir held their 70th anniversary concert in May 2019, they paid tribute to the choir’s founder.

But the programme notes about James MacTaggart barely scratched the surface of the story of a remarkable man and musician — known to all as the blind organist.

HELENSBURGH Art Club’s 2019 annual Art Show, held in August in the Victoria Hall, paId tribute to six of its members who died in the previous twelve months.

The show included a poignant special exhibition of works by Mary Batchelor, Muriel Borland, Fay Marshall, Eddie McConnell, James Murdoch and Burns Shearer.

TWO talented and enterprising artists who met while training in Paris ran art classes in Helensburgh from 1890-1906.

Mary Park (below right) and Madge Ross held the classes initially at 8, then 3, Prince Albert Terrace, Victoria Road. They moved to Glasgow in 1906, and in 1911 Miss Park returned to her home country of New Zealand.

A MOTHER and son from Helensburgh were both highly rated artists.

That was the conclusion of administrator Mary-Jane Selwood when she researched the pair for the Anderson Trust Local Collection.

More Articles ...