UPDATES for the Helensburgh Heritage Trust bicentenary book '200 Years of Helensburgh' have been compiled by the book's editor, Trust treasurer Stewart Noble.
They can be found here — and can be printed to keep in the book. A few copies of the book are still available for sale.
ONE of the sadder sights on Helensburgh seafront has been the magnificent mansion Cairndhu boarded up and starting to deterioriate.
But now a new use a new use has been found for this former home, wartime degaussing base, hotel and then care home.
HER Royal Highness Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria, had a huge impact on Helensburgh and Garelochside, where she lived in Rosneath Castle and loved the beauty and quietness of the Gareloch.
The area provided a haven for her in her later years after a fascinating and busy earlier life inevitable for a daughter of Britain’s longest serving monarch from 1837-1901.
HELENSBURGH has always prided itself that a Prime Minister came from the burgh, despite the fact that he is known as “The Unknown Prime Minister”.
A Conservative, the Rt Hon Andrew Bonar Law MP occupied 10 Downing Street for just 209 days in 1922-23, succeeding the much better known Liberal, David Lloyd George, who had served from 1916-22.
A HELENSBURGH man who served as a County Councillor for 23 years was a First World War hero who won the Victoria Cross, the top award for gallantry in the face of the enemy.
Colonel George de Cardonnel Elmsall Findlay was born on August 20 1889 in Cardross and died suddenly at his burgh home, Drumfork House, on June 26 1967 at the age of 77.
MAY 5 1941 proved to be a traumatic night for the residents of a Cardross farm as Nazi bombs rained down.
The first bombing raid on the village came on July 13 1940, when stick after stick of incendiary bombs fell mainly on the shore and around the railway station.
TRAINS move, stations are stationary — except in Helensburgh, perhaps?
For decades Helensburgh Central Station has been on East Princes Street beside the Municipal Buildings. But was that its only site?
THE Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment based at RAF Helensburgh at Rhu in World War Two was tasked with investigating the problems of a bomber which was nicknamed by aircrew as ‘the flying coffin’.
Blackburn Bothas were built at Dumbarton from 1939 to Government specifications for a four-seater, twin-engine reconnaissance bomber.
HELENSBURGH HERITAGE TRUST
Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation – number SC024603
TRAVEL, places and a star of the past were the topics at Helensburgh Heritage Trust’s February open meeting in Helensburgh and Lomond Civic Centre on Wednesday February 26.
There was a good attendance for the second annual Trustees Night, when three members of the Trust Board were introduced by chairman the Rev David Clark and spoke about very different subjects.
HELENSBURGH Heritage Trust's very well attended first open meeting of 2020 heard about progress on repairing the Charles Rennie Mackintosh-designed mansion The Hill House in Upper Colquhoun Street.
The speaker at the meeting in Helensburgh and Lomond Civic Centre in East Clyde Street on Wednesday January 29 was Suzie Reid of the National Trust for Scotland, who was accompanied by Hill House helper Tayla Egbers from Helensburgh, Australia.