Sidebar

Magazine menu

29
Sat, Aug

camis_eskan_houseONE of Helensburgh’s most historic but least well known mansions, Camis Eskan, celebrated another milestone in 2004.

Camis-Eskan-frontThe first Camis Eskan, which is up the hill on the east side of Colgrain and has wonderful views over the Clyde, was built by the Dennistoun family who bought the estates of Colgrain in 1351. Their descendants lived there for 500 years.

AN HISTORIC engraved ceremonial spade, dating back to November 22 1881, was returned to the area in 2007 and is now on display at Cove Burgh Hall.

It turned up at a meeting of old friends two decades ago, when Cove resident Maureen Purdie met up with friend Lyle Craig on the Isle of Arran.

old_hel_pic

AT FIRST glance, Helensburgh may look much the same now as it always did. But not at second glance!

This became very clear when Ken Bryden, from West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, got in touch with Helensburgh Heritage Trust and emailed this aerial picture of the burgh.

sir_james_colquhounIn the “Glasgow Journal” on 11th January 1776 the following advertisement was published:

“NOTICE — To be feued immediately, for building upon, at a very reasonable rate, a considerable piece of ground upon the shore of Malig, opposite Greenock.

sheepsheid-terrace-15.02.09-w

SHEEPSHEID Terrace in Helensburgh, or the Sheepsheid as it is commonly known, has an interesting story to its nickname.

Officially the building, off West Princes Street and easily seen from between the Masonic Hall and Princes Court, is called "Westwood Place".

FROM the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times in 1924: There was a suggestion to improve the seafront — an argument that had been going on for the previous 80 odd years.

This suggestion dwarfed the infill for the pier car park, as it would run from Colquhoun Street to Sutherland Street and would include two swimming pools, a bandstand, tennis courts, childrens play area, and a boat station (marina) next to the pier.

Some members of the Town Council objected to this: ". . . It would be inadvisable to turn the burgh into a Blackpool or a second Rothesay for the benefit of day-trippers . . ."

centenary_monument007IN the year 1903, in honour of the Helensburgh's Centenary as a Burgh of Barony the previous year, Sir James Colquhoun of Luss gifted a memorial in the form of a Celtic Cross.

On it is carved: 1802 Henry Bell Provost, 1902 Samuel Bryden Provost.

granary2THE old Granary was a picturesque building on Helensburgh seafront. It was originally a malt barn and, for a time, contained an unlicenced room, selling alcohol.

The image on the right was taken around the turn of the century. It is 4pm and there are crowds around the bandstand being entertained. The Old Parish Church clock tower stands behind the Granary buildings.

IN the Helensburgh bicentenary year, 2002, a glass panel was spied at Edinburgh Architectural Salvage Yard by a Community Councillor who, on closer examination, saw that it had belonged to an early Helensburgh Hospital and notified the Trust.

A bargain was struck and the panel was bought by the Trust with the aim of carrying out necessary repairs and framing the panel in a light box.

Anne-Gray Cecilia-Dunlop-nHELENSBURGH Heritage Trust learned that the cairn which commemorated the Battle of Glen Fruin on February 7 1603 was in a poor state — some of the lettering was either missing or defaced.

They decided to carry out repairs and contacted the Friends of Loch Lomond, Clan Gregor and British Petroleum, all of whom gave generously towards the repairs.