FROM the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times in 1924: There was a suggestion to improve the seafront — an argument that had been going on for the previous 80 odd years.
This suggestion dwarfed the infill for the pier car park, as it would run from Colquhoun Street to Sutherland Street and would include two swimming pools, a bandstand, tennis courts, childrens play area, and a boat station (marina) next to the pier.
Some members of the Town Council objected to this: ". . . It would be inadvisable to turn the burgh into a Blackpool or a second Rothesay for the benefit of day-trippers . . ."