×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

King-Tut-2015-w

PAINTING of coastal rocks to enhance an existing feature is a particular form of artistic and cultural expression — and one of the great examples is ‘King Tut’ on the shore at Kilcreggan.

Painting rocks happens elsewhere, but there is a remarkable concentration and variety on the Clyde Coast.

Municipal-Buildings-w

IT IS hard to imagine what was arguably Helensburgh’s most important building becoming a delicatessen and restaurant . . . but that is what is going to happen.

Glasgow-based grocery chain Peckham’s have been given the go-ahead by Argyll and Bute Council to convert the B-listed former Municipal Buildings at the corner of East Princes Street and Sinclair Street.

Civic-Centre-1-12.03.16-wTHE NEW Helensburgh Civic Centre incorporates a splendid state of the art Marriage Room which has already hosted its first wedding . . .

But the two-part building itself is also an excellent ‘marriage’ of old and new architecture which is already much admired.

Cardross-seat-wPEOPLE driving through Cardross give it barely a glance, if they notice it at all.

Villagers walk past it many a time without giving it a thought, except when they want to rest weary legs.

Boutcher-1-w

A DESIGNED Landscape by William Boutcher dated to 1732 has recently been recognised on the slope of Tom na h-Airidh to the north of Helensburgh.

The question is — is Boutcher’s designed landscape the genesis of Helensburgh's grid plan layout?

HELENSBURGH and district has a long association with Youth Hostels and those who use them, but it is a much smaller number nowadays.

In its heyday, the Scottish Youth Hostels Association had at least 100 hostels open during the season, but today the association's website lists just 36 hostels available for the 2015 season — the nearest being Glasgow, Rowardennan and Crianlarich.

Hartfield-House-wTHE handsome mansion Inverclyde at Cove — origi­nally Hartfield House — had a very colourful history.

Built by architect Campbell Douglas in 1859, it was used for a variety of purposes before being demolished.

More Articles ...