×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

Carbeth-House-wA RHU mansion built by Madeleine Smith’s father was offered for sale in July 2008 with an asking price of £795,000.

Carbeth House is high above the village of Rhu and has superb views over the Gareloch and the Clyde.

lyntonONE of Helensburgh’s most splendid mansions, Lynton at 6 Upper Colquhoun Street, was offered for sale for over £1.5 million in the summer of 2008.

Designed by William Leiper and built in 1908, it contains a reception hall, four reception rooms, and six bedrooms, and is set in an acre of gardens.

Malig_mill_dam

mill_behind_hallONE of the oldest relics of Helensburgh’s history can be found in Hermitage Park, at the rear of the Victoria Halls — yet surprisingly little is known about it.

It is the remains of the Millig Mill, a corn mill thought to have been in operation from the early 1700s, and known at that time as the Malig Mill. Helensburgh itself was alternatively known as Milnliggs, Malig, Millig or Milligs.

camis_eskan_houseONE of Helensburgh’s most historic but least well known mansions, Camis Eskan, celebrated another milestone in 2004.

Camis-Eskan-frontThe first Camis Eskan, which is up the hill on the east side of Colgrain and has wonderful views over the Clyde, was built by the Dennistoun family who bought the estates of Colgrain in 1351. Their descendants lived there for 500 years.

ardencaplecastleONLY one tower of Helensburgh’s Ardencaple Castle now remains, but it is still a beacon which calls members of the Clan MacAulay from all over the world.

Most of the ancient castle was demolished in July 1959, but it is very close to the hearts of clan members no matter which variant of the spelling of their name they use.

lightning161

THE best picture ever taken in the Helensburgh district of fork lightning striking was shot one very stormy night on July 26 1985.

The photographer was a 16 year-old graphic design student who was watching the storm and decided to record it for posterity.

AN HISTORIC engraved ceremonial spade, dating back to November 22 1881, was returned to the area in 2007 and is now on display at Cove Burgh Hall.

It turned up at a meeting of old friends two decades ago, when Cove resident Maureen Purdie met up with friend Lyle Craig on the Isle of Arran.

More Articles ...