It tells and shows images of the men who built Henry Bell's Comet, telling the story of the inventor from his birth in Torphichen in 1767 and the men with whom he worked to build and operate the two Comet steamships.
Henry Bell & Comet
THE Bells and Helensburgh are inextricably linked with the history of the other.
Margaret Bell, wife of Henry Bell, owner of the 'Comet' and Helensburgh’s first Provost, was a Seceeder who travelled to Dumbarton to worship. Later she opened her home, the Bath’s Hotel, for Sunday worship, arranging for a minister to come and preach there.
It is the work of noted Helensburgh artist Neil Macleod, and a limited number of prints were prepared to mark the 2012 Comet bicentenary.
Sub-titled 'Two Centuries of Hebridean & Clyde Shipping', it looks at the development and establishment of what we know now as Caledonian MacBrayne.
Helensburgh Heritage Trust director and local historian Alistair McIntyre came across this photograph of a group of five men, ranged round a sign stating "Builders of 1912 Comet".
HELENSBURGH Tree Conservation Trust's Spring Planting in the spring of 2012 included a celebration of the Comet bicentenary.
Members decided to plant 49 trees in Henry Bell Street to mark the occasion. The varieties werere Crataegus Rosea Plena and Pauls Scarlet.
WHEN Henry Bell’s steamboat Comet started its career, it introduced the pleasure of spending a day at a seaside resort to Glasgow’s teeming population, eager for a breath of salt water air.
But some thought it was the Devil's work.