EARLY Clyde steamer dramas, a World War One officer who was married a week after he died, and the work of the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment at Rhu during World War Two all featured at Helensburgh Heritage Trust’s latest open meeting.
A BRIEF illustrated history of the Rosneath Peninsula was the topic at Helensburgh Heritage Trust’s final 2017-18 winter open meeting in Helensburgh and Lomond Civic Centre on Wednesday March 28.
The guest speaker was Richard Reeve, a Kilcreggan resident since 1984 when he arrived to work at Faslane. He retired in 2010.
THE RESTORATION of a Rhu garden has led to it becoming a major summer visitor attraction in the West of Scotland.
Glenarn was built around 1850 and has belonged to only four families since then, but it is most noted for its extensive garden.
THE Mackintosh Club in Helensburgh town centre tells a significant historical story . . . but it also has a bright future.
In just two years Kilcreggan architect Bruce Jamieson and his wife Nicola have not only revived the first complete building designed and built in 1894 by the world-famous architect and artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh, but also set it on a path to be a major tourist attraction.
INTERNATIONAL funding has enabled real progress in a project to restore a castle on Loch Lomond’s most northerly island.
A LAY PREACHER who officiated at services in Helensburgh was not quite what he seemed.
John Henry Greatrex was a talented early photographer, but also a thief, convict, adulterer and forger, members heard at the final Helensburgh Heritage Trust open meeting of 2017.