MYSTERY surrounds a Helensburgh man who is credited with having invented the electric gramophone pickup.
Burgh-born Charles Johnson sold the patent for the pickup to record giants HMV in 1929.
THE 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy in 1944 which changed the course of World War Two was marked that evening, June 6, by a special concert in Helensburgh’s Victoria Hall.
And it was attended by 95 year-old burgh woman Jean Holland, a young serving Wren at the time of D-Day and former Helensburgh citizen of the year, who was given a round of applause by the large audience.
A NEW EXHIBITION features Her Royal Highness Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria.
She had a huge impact on Helensburgh and Garelochside, where she lived in Rosneath Castle and loved the beauty and quietness of the Gareloch.
The area provided a haven for her in her later years after a fascinating and busy earlier life inevitable for a daughter of Britain’s longest serving monarch from 1837-1901.
She was born on March 18 1848 and christened Louisa Caroline Alberta, but was always known as Louise. She had four brothers and four sisters, and was the sixth oldest and the fourth of five daughters.
She was to be the daughter of a Queen, sister of a King, aunt of a King, and great aunt of two Kings.
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were devoted to each other and were very conscientious parents. Unlike many aristocrats of their time, they had a very close relationship with all of their children.
Like her other siblings, Louise was brought up with the strict programme of education devised by her Prince Albert, and the young children were taught practical tasks, such as cooking, farming, household tasks and carpentry.
From her early years, Louise was a talented and intelligent child, and her artistic talents were quickly recognised. Hallam Tennyson, the son of the poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson, remarked in 1863 that she could “draw beautifully”.
The exhibition in Inveraray Castle features Princess Louise and her husband, the Marquis of Lorne. It is open daily until October 31 from 10am-5.45pm, and it is included in the Castle admission charge.
THE FRIENDS of Hermitage Park and Helensburgh Heritage Trust have received a grant of £10,000 from the National Lottery Heritage Fund for the War Memorial Families Project in Helensburgh.
Awarded through its 'First World War: then and now' programme, the project will focus on researching and creating biographies of all the men of the town named on the memorial in Hermitage Park who were killed in World War One.
AS PART of the HLF-funded Written in the Landscape project, liveArgyll Archives and the Argyll Papers at Inveraray Castle delivered a well-attended local history workshop on Tuesday April 16 at Helensburgh Parish Church Halls.
Archivists introduced both collections and the types of records held in them, focussing on the documents which contain evidence about the history of Helensburgh and Dunbartonshire.
Some of the original records were on display.