×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

Morven-Christie-wHELENSBURGH-born actress Morven Christie was the reader for episode 3 of the BBC Radio 4 programme Opening Lines on Thursday August 19 2010.

Opening Lines gives emerging short-story writers their radio debut, and Morven read the final story in this series, 'Kiss' by Heather Reid.

The-Moss

A RHU house occupied for five years by the son of publisher Walter W.Blackie — who commissioned the building of Hill House in Helensburgh by Charles Rennie MacKintosh — has been put up for sale.

Offers over £495,000 are being invited for The Moss in Pier Road by agents Rettie & Co. of 147 Bath Street, Glasgow. It was bought by Walter G.Blackie in January 1941, and he and his family lived there until 1945 when they moved to Auchengower, James Street, Helensburgh.

Caw-Gareloch-painting-wA PAINTING of the Gareloch by an eminent Scottish artist is currently being offered for sale on Ebay. The asking price was £1,250, but it has now been reduced to £550.

The 15 inches by 9 inches watercolour by Sir James Lewis Caw (1864-1950), who was the director of the Scottish National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery from 1907-1930, is entitled 'Gareloch, Helensburgh'.

portincaple_-_loch_long__by_evelyn_carslawTHE Anderson Trust has just opened a new exhibition in Helensburgh Library which focuses on paintings recently acquired by the Trust.

The Trust art collection specialises in works associated, either by artist or subject matter, with Helensburgh and the surrounding areas.

July-Nigh-Loch-Lomond-Norah-Neilson-GrayTHE Glasgow Boys exhibition on view in Glasgow’s Kelvingrove Museum — which features works painted around the Helensburgh area and by local artists — has been well attended and highly acclaimed. But the gender balance was redressed! 

An exhibition of paintings, decorative and applied art by the Glasgow Girls (1890–1930) opened in Kirkcudbright Town Hall on Saturday July 3 and ran until the end of August.

railway-book-wAN interest in railways has been shared by many people in Helensburgh since the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway Company arrived in 1858.

While only the occasional special steam train passes these days on the West Highland Line, the age of steam trains continues to hold a special fascination.

rev-dane-sherrard2010 is the 1,500th anniversary of the arrival in the Luss area of St Kessog — or MacKessog, the Gaelic form of St Kessog — and the celebrations have already begun.

Legends say that St Kessog came from Ireland and established a monastery on the island of Inchtavannach. The name of Inchtavannach actually means monks island.

More Articles ...