A PAINTING by renowned Portincaple artist James Kay RSA RSW was offered for sale at £1,250 in May 2011, but did not find a buyer and was returned to its owner.
The watercolour, signed and measuring about 9 by 13 ins, is entitled 'Tending the Cows, Arran' and was included in an exhibition of paintings of subjects in the Arran area for sale at Ewan Mundy Fine Art, 211 West George Street, Glasgow.
Best known for his paintings of harbours and Clyde scenes, James Kay was born in Lamlash on the Isle of Arran on October 22 1858, but lived for some 33 years in the Loch Longside village in a house called Crimea and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow.
Like so many of the other distinguished West of Scotland painters of that era, he was a student at Glasgow School of Art. He also studied closely from nature, and developed early a distinct and colourful method of his own.
He was a member of Glasgow Art Club in Bath Street, the United Arts Club in London, the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, and the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Water Colours — eventually becoming its senior vice-president.
Elected an Associate of the Royal Scottish Academy on March 29 1933, and five years later an Academician, he passed away at Crimea on September 26 1942, and is buried at Faslane Cemetery.