DURING 1925 there were calls in Helensburgh for a motorised ambulance. Letters were continually letters sent to and published in the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times asking for a new ambulance.
At a meeting in March 1925, Town Council representatives, along with members of the Infirmary board, decided that ". . . there were not enough accidents to warrant a motor ambulance."
However by December 1927 a motor ambulance car was acquired by the directors of Helensburgh Victoria Infirmary. The ambulance was stationed at Waldie's premises in Sinclair Street.
The ambulance was called out 85 times during 1928, travelling to Inveraray, Lochgoilhead, Dunoon, Larbert and Glasgow.
The ambulance was available day or night at the usual rates of 1s 6d per mile, with a minimum charge of 5s, by telephoning Waldie and Co.