×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

Craigrownie-drawing-w

To mark Craigrownie Church's 150th anniversary, Douglas Dow compiled this history.

UNTIL the 19th century the Rosneath Peninsula, which in older records is referred to as the Isle of Rosneath, had a population of about 500.

Tin-hut-demolished-wA PIECE of Rosneath Peninsula and local religious history was demolished in March 2013.

It was not a surprise, but it was a sad day for many local residents when the ‘Tin Hut Church’ was pulled down.

St-Columba-Church-wONE hundred and fifty years of worship were celebrated at Helensburgh's St Columba Church on July 3 2011 — just weeks before its union with another congregation. 

The 150th anniversary of the Sinclair Street building was marked at a packed service of thanksgiving on July 3, and the birthday came as the congregation — at its present site since 1861 — prepared to say farewell to the historic building.

The-Old-Kirk-1825THE Christmas 2010 edition of Helensburgh's West Kirk magazine announced that St Columba Church and its halls were surplus to town Church of Scotland requirements — the first public announcement of the latest change in local church history.

A long drawn out process of consultations and planning on church union was completed in the summer of 2011, and St Andrew's Kirk was chosen as the name of the new church.

1894-Church-invoice

A SMALL sheet of paper gifted to Helensburgh Heritage Trust in March 2012 turned out to be a fascinating relic from local church history.

The text and illustrations below are the entire contents of a leaflet compiled and published in 1955 by David McRoberts, giving the history of the Chapel of St Mahew at Cardross. The leaflet was donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust in 2010 by Gillian George.

 

 St-Mahew-1-w

St-Mahew-2-wABOUT a quarter of a mile to the north of Cardross village, in Dunbartonshire, lies a small parcel of land called Kirkton of Kilmahew.

General-Booth-at-pier-w

THE founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, paid his only visit to Helensburgh in 1910.

The image above, which shows the General at Helensburgh pier, was supplied by Provost Billy Petrie, who received it from a relative in California, Donald Cullen, whose grandfather, Donald Brownlee, was the Salvation Army officer on the extreme right.

More Articles ...

Page 3 of 5