×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

camis_eskan_houseONE of Helensburgh’s most historic but least well known mansions, Camis Eskan, celebrated another milestone in 2004.

Camis-Eskan-frontThe first Camis Eskan, which is up the hill on the east side of Colgrain and has wonderful views over the Clyde, was built by the Dennistoun family who bought the estates of Colgrain in 1351. Their descendants lived there for 500 years.

AN HISTORIC engraved ceremonial spade, dating back to November 22 1881, was returned to the area in 2007 and is now on display at Cove Burgh Hall.

It turned up at a meeting of old friends two decades ago, when Cove resident Maureen Purdie met up with friend Lyle Craig on the Isle of Arran.

colquhoun_square105

HELENSBURGH Heritage Trust spent some time trying to find the whereabouts of the old granite fountain which used to stand in Colquhoun Square, in two different locations.

But trust chairman Stewart Noble then discovered, by looking at minutes of the old Helensburgh Town Council, that there were two fountains!

sheepsheid-terrace-15.02.09-w

SHEEPSHEID Terrace in Helensburgh, or the Sheepsheid as it is commonly known, has an interesting story to its nickname.

Officially the building, off West Princes Street and easily seen from between the Masonic Hall and Princes Court, is called "Westwood Place".

old_hel_pic

AT FIRST glance, Helensburgh may look much the same now as it always did. But not at second glance!

This became very clear when Ken Bryden, from West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, got in touch with Helensburgh Heritage Trust and emailed this aerial picture of the burgh.

sir_james_colquhounIn the “Glasgow Journal” on 11th January 1776 the following advertisement was published:

“NOTICE — To be feued immediately, for building upon, at a very reasonable rate, a considerable piece of ground upon the shore of Malig, opposite Greenock.

FROM the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times in 1924: There was a suggestion to improve the seafront — an argument that had been going on for the previous 80 odd years.

This suggestion dwarfed the infill for the pier car park, as it would run from Colquhoun Street to Sutherland Street and would include two swimming pools, a bandstand, tennis courts, childrens play area, and a boat station (marina) next to the pier.

Some members of the Town Council objected to this: ". . . It would be inadvisable to turn the burgh into a Blackpool or a second Rothesay for the benefit of day-trippers . . ."

More Articles ...