×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

ardencaplecastleONLY one tower of Helensburgh’s Ardencaple Castle now remains, but it is still a beacon which calls members of the Clan MacAulay from all over the world.

Most of the ancient castle was demolished in July 1959, but it is very close to the hearts of clan members no matter which variant of the spelling of their name they use.

Malig_mill_dam

mill_behind_hallONE of the oldest relics of Helensburgh’s history can be found in Hermitage Park, at the rear of the Victoria Halls — yet surprisingly little is known about it.

It is the remains of the Millig Mill, a corn mill thought to have been in operation from the early 1700s, and known at that time as the Malig Mill. Helensburgh itself was alternatively known as Milnliggs, Malig, Millig or Milligs.

camis_eskan_houseONE of Helensburgh’s most historic but least well known mansions, Camis Eskan, celebrated another milestone in 2004.

Camis-Eskan-frontThe first Camis Eskan, which is up the hill on the east side of Colgrain and has wonderful views over the Clyde, was built by the Dennistoun family who bought the estates of Colgrain in 1351. Their descendants lived there for 500 years.

old_hel_pic

AT FIRST glance, Helensburgh may look much the same now as it always did. But not at second glance!

This became very clear when Ken Bryden, from West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, got in touch with Helensburgh Heritage Trust and emailed this aerial picture of the burgh.

lightning161

THE best picture ever taken in the Helensburgh district of fork lightning striking was shot one very stormy night on July 26 1985.

The photographer was a 16 year-old graphic design student who was watching the storm and decided to record it for posterity.

AN HISTORIC engraved ceremonial spade, dating back to November 22 1881, was returned to the area in 2007 and is now on display at Cove Burgh Hall.

It turned up at a meeting of old friends two decades ago, when Cove resident Maureen Purdie met up with friend Lyle Craig on the Isle of Arran.

colquhoun_square105

HELENSBURGH Heritage Trust spent some time trying to find the whereabouts of the old granite fountain which used to stand in Colquhoun Square, in two different locations.

But trust chairman Stewart Noble then discovered, by looking at minutes of the old Helensburgh Town Council, that there were two fountains!

More Articles ...