german-heinkelAN AUDACIOUS attempt to fool the Germans in World War Two, masterminded by the Rhu-based Marine Aircraft Experimental Research Establishment, nearly came to grief.

Robin Bird, who wrote ‘Top Secret War Bird of World War Two’ about his father, photographer Bob Bird, has discovered what happened, and hopes to feature the story in a new book.

hermitage_war_memorialTHOSE Helensburgh and District men who died on active service in World War Two are remembered with pride.

Elsewhere in this Military section of the website is the story of Sergeant Campbell Lowrie, who died when his bomber was shot down near Paris on June 3, just three days before D-Day.

Drill-Hall-w-1AN important piece of Helensburgh history was demolished in December 2005, after having become an eyesore.

The decision to demolish the old drill hall at 75 East Princes Street brought to an end a long battle for permission to pull down the corrugated iron building.

k_class_submarineONE of the saddest events in the history of the Gareloch is the K13 submarine disaster, which took place on January 29 1917.

What follows is the second of four accounts of the tragedy.

Dunbar-memorial-wTHE World War Two death of Cardross man Sergeant Alexander Glass Dunbar is shrouded in mystery.

The former Hermitage School pupil, the son of Francis G.Dunbar, who maintained the Kilmahew Castle gardens, and his wife Mary, died on September 23 1940 at the age of 23 when his training aircraft crashed in Shropshire.

k_class_submarineONE of the saddest events in the history of the Gareloch is the K13 submarine disaster, which took place on January 29 1917.

What follows is the first of four accounts of the tragedy, this one by courtesy of the Submariners Association website.

bill_morrison

A WELL known Helensburgh man, the late Bill Morrison, OBE, is included in the Guinness Book of Records as having made the deepest unaided ascent from a sunken submarine — although he knew very little about it at the time.

Former garage boss and local Conservative district councillor, Bill lived for many years in Cove and Kilcreggan and was a member and treasurer of its town council prior to the reform of local government in 1975. He also owned the Knockderry Hotel at Cove for some years.

More Articles ...