TRAINS move, stations are stationary — except in Helensburgh, perhaps?

For decades Helensburgh Central Station has been on East Princes Street beside the Municipal Buildings. But was that its only site?

HELENSBURGH’S first commercial photographer had an unusual claim to fame.

William Young, of 114 William Street, was a witness in the now world-famous trial of Madeleine Smith who was alleged to have poisoned her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier.

THE VILLAGES of Helensburgh and district have had a variety of water sources in the past 200 years.

Originally they had a mixture of wells, springs and streams, and included some ingenious arrangements.

THE STORY of Helensburgh’s water supply begins with the town’s first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell.

This inventive genius first suggested the idea of bringing a piped water supply to the town.

THE LATEST chapter in the story of Helensburgh supermarkets is that Morrisons has bought Waitrose at Colgrain and hopes to open before Christmas 2020.

While several of the major supermarket companies have either operated or tried to operate here, the burgh’s longest serving retail business of this kind by a distance is the Co-op.

SCOTLAND’S smallest Burgh, Cove and Kilcreggan, turned its attention to a public water supply only fifteen years after attaining burgh status.

Feueing of land for house building there began in 1848. A mere seventeen years later, the inhabitants were contemplating a move to form themselves into a burgh — showing clearly that there was a spirit of ambition within the fledgling community.

MANY a long-time Helensburgh resident will remember elephants parading along East Princes Street . . . an unusual spectacle heralding the arrival in the burgh of a circus.

The travelling circus had an association with Helensburgh going back over many years, and quite a number of the most prominent of them visited the town.

More Articles ...