JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

SCOTLAND’S smallest Burgh, Cove and Kilcreggan, turned its attention to a public water supply only fifteen years after attaining burgh status.

Feueing of land for house building there began in 1848. A mere seventeen years later, the inhabitants were contemplating a move to form themselves into a burgh — showing clearly that there was a spirit of ambition within the fledgling community.

THE STORY of Helensburgh’s water supply begins with the town’s first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell.

This inventive genius first suggested the idea of bringing a piped water supply to the town.

MOST communities of any size in the Helensburgh area, except Luss and Cardross, boasted at least one temperance hotel — and they formed a highly visible and important part of the wider Temperance Movement.

They aimed to provide people with the various amenities of a standard hotel, except the alcohol.

THE CLYDE puffer must rank as the most fondly remembered of all the small coastal vessels that plied the waters of the west coast of Scotland — partly thanks to tales written by a Helensburgh man.

The little vessel played an indispensable role in the life and times of many communities, especially the more remote ones. For many years life could not have gone on without this humble workhorse.

MANY a long-time Helensburgh resident will remember elephants parading along East Princes Street . . . an unusual spectacle heralding the arrival in the burgh of a circus.

The travelling circus had an association with Helensburgh going back over many years, and quite a number of the most prominent of them visited the town.

THE NEWS in April 2019 that the Helensburgh branch of the TSB in East Princes Street was reducing the days it opens came as a shock.

It followed the complete closure of the Santander branch in West Princes Street, and both are being attributed to changes in the way people do their banking in this online age.


WHEN the then Royal Yacht Britannia — carrying the Queen Mother — entered and left the Gareloch in May 1968, she made a suitably majestic sight. But it was not quite so majestic in December 1954 when another royal yacht arrived at Faslane.

The Helensburgh Heritage Trust website often receives requests from researchers for information and/or images, which quite often leads to undiscovered gems of local history, and an inquiry from Mike Keulemans did just that.

More Articles ...